Volunteers are essential to our mission. We are always looking for community residents to volunteer their time and talent as we work to provide supportive housing, employment services and other assistance to local residents with disabilities or other challenges. Volunteers help by participating in and/or planning activities for our Supported Employment program participants or group home residents, provide support during community events that advance our work or provide other needed assistance.
Student Volunteers: We can work with students to fulfill educational requirements. We will try to match the needs of the student and his/her program with available volunteer opportunities.
Community Service Volunteers: We are willing to work with individuals on a case-by-case basis toward completion of their court-mandated community service.
Group and Other Individual Volunteers: We welcome those who are interested in volunteering as a group as well as those who want to serve on an individual basis.
Examples of Volunteer Opportunities:
- Teach Supported Employment participants and/or group home residents a new skill (e.g., sewing, gardening, cooking, how to make home repairs, how to play the piano, woodworking, painting, knitting, hairstyling)
- Provide employment-related guidance to one or more group home residents (e.g., help them establish career/job goals, teach them how to fill out a job application and use job placement services within the community, conduct mock job interviews)
- Teach group home residents how to use community resources that will be available to them upon their move to a more independent living setting (e.g., how to borrow materials from the library, how to ride a city bus, how to apply for food stamps)
- Do landscaping, cleaning and/or repair work at a group home or Goodwill-supported apartment building
- Be a companion to one or more group home residents (e.g., visit with them on a regular basis, go on walks with them, take them into the community via city bus)
- Provide assistance at a special event such as the launch of Boston Store’s Goodwill Sale
- Prepare income tax returns or perform other related duties through our Volunteer Income Tax Preparation Assistance program
Interested in Volunteering?
If you would like to volunteer, SAVE the student, group or individual online application to your computer (you will need Adobe Reader version 6.0 or later to view this file), enter your information, SAVE again and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may print the appropriate application, fill it out manually and mail/fax to:
Goodwill of South Central Wisconsin
Attn: Volunteer Coordinator
1302 Mendota Street
Madison, WI 53714
*PLEASE REMEMBER TO SIGN AND DATE ALL APPLICATIONS MANUALLY OR ELECTRONICALLY BEFORE SUBMITTING.
Once your application is received, the Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to discuss specific opportunities.
- A criminal background check will be conducted on all prospective volunteers
- Any volunteer under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult