We're Seeking Volunteer Tax Preparers!
We are looking for tax preparers to participate in our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) clinics in 2014. The VITA clinics are designed to provide FREE tax preparation assistance to low-income taxpayers such as the elderly, individuals with disabilities, and limited-English speaking persons.
As a volunteer tax preparer you will be part of bringing $20 million each year into the homes of low-income families, allowing them to pay bills, prepare for home ownership, and be an active part of local economies. Each tax return prepared by a volunteer can raise a working family's income by up to $4,800.
We are recruiting individuals who can commit to required training and at least four four-hour shifts during tax season.
To learn more, click here.
If you are a local employer and would like to discuss partnership opportunities, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Sonja Patterson (608-246-3140, ext. 155).
Interested in Volunteering?
Simply complete an application (see below) and submit it to our Volunteer Coordinator, Sonja Patterson, via e-mail, fax (608-246-1984), or mail:
Goodwill Industries of South Central Wisconsin
Attn: Volunteer Coordinator
1302 Mendota Street
Madison, WI 53714
Click here for a group application
Click here for an individual application
Once your application is received, the Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to discuss specific opportunities.
-A criminal background check will be conducted on all prospective volunteers
-Any volunteer under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact our
Volunteer Coordinator, Sonja Patterson, via e-mail and by calling 608-246-3140, ext. 155.
Goodwill Industries of South Central Wisconsin is looking for individuals to volunteer their time and talent in an effort to help us fulfill our mission of building better communities by providing opportunities for people with disabilities or other challenges. Individuals provide services participating in and/or planning activities for our Supported Employment program or group home clients, provide support during our many community events that advance our work, or provide other assistance.
Group and Individual Volunteers: We welcome those who are interested in volunteering as a group as well as those who want to serve on an individual basis.
Student Volunteers: We can work with students to fulfill educational requirements. We will try to match the needs of the student and his/her program with available volunteer opportunities.
Community Service Volunteers: We are willing to work with individuals on a case-by-case basis toward completion of their court-mandated community service.
Examples of Volunteer Opportunities:
- Provide free electronic tax preparation for eligible clients through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) clinics
- Teach Supported Employment participants and/or group home residents a new skill (e.g., sewing, gardening, cooking, baseball, home repairs, piano, woodworking, painting, knitting, hairstyling)
- Provide employment-related guidance to one or more group home residents (e.g., help them establish career/job goals, teach them how to fill out a job application and use job placement services within the community, conduct mock job interviews)
- Teach group home residents how to use community resources that will be available to them upon their move to a more independent living setting (e.g., how to borrow materials from the library, how to ride a city bus, how to apply for food stamps)
- Do landscaping, cleaning, and/or repair work at a group home or
Goodwill-supported apartment building
- Be a companion to one or more group home residents (e.g., visit with them on a regular basis, go on walks with them, take them into the community via city bus)
- Provide assistance at a special event such as the launch of Boston Store’s Goodwill Sale or at one of our computer collection drives
Current Volunteer Opportunities: For detailed information about specific volunteer opportunities that are currently available, click here.
A big THANK YOU to our volunteers from the Wisconsin
Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA
the Baker Tilly
accounting firm. They painted or
did yard work
at one of our group homes and two
of our apartment buildings.
To see more photos, click here